Problems registering for council tax

  • You cannot register if you have:
    • Council tax accounts that are closed.
    • Not told us you are a new resident liable for council tax. Please let us know if you are moving into or out of a property in Ealing.
  • If you have a joint council tax account, each person wishing to access the account will need to register for My Account independently.
  • To register for an account, you will:
    • Need your council tax account number shown on your bill, or on any statement or recovery notice, such as a reminder notice. The number is of eight digits and will always start with either 4 or 5.
    • Be asked to provide answers to some, or all of the following, security questions so that we can ensure you are accessing the correct account:
      • Your date of birth
      • Last three digits of your contact number
      • Your postcode
      • Payment method (how you pay your council tax)
      • Sort code of account used to pay your council tax
      • Online key (shown on council tax bill, reminder notice, summons -  if you cannot find it contact the My Account support team by telephone 020 8825 7733 – Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.).

I can't see my transactions

  • We have not imported your previous transaction history across so you will not see any of your previous transactions.
  • The transactions for the following forms will not appear on the My Transactions page:
    • Apply for sole adult occupier's discount
    • Switch to paperless billing
    • Report moving in notification details
    • Tell us if a tenant has moved home
    • Tell us if you have moved home
    • Apply for Class U - Properties that are only lived in by anyone who is severely mentally impaired
    • Apply for student discount
    • Pay by direct debit
    • Pay by 12 instalments
  • You can “View your council tax account” - Click on “Tell us who you are” and provide some additional security information to see full details of your council tax account including payments and account activity. You will be able to access copies of your bills and any recovery notices you have received dating back to when you opened your account at your current address (up to 10 years).

Account summary

  • Account 
    • This shows your council tax account number, the name(s) of the liable person(s), the property address and the billing address.
  • Total balance
    • This figure is the total council tax you owe for the current year as well as any arrears outstanding.
  • Your account history
    • This link gives a summary of the account balance, charges, payments, council tax support/reduction, discounts, exemptions, refunds, and costs in respect of the last three years (including the current year). Please note that the start date 01/04/2019 means the period 01/04/2019 – 31/03/2020 and 01/04/2020 means the period 01/04/2020 – 31/03/2021.  
  • Discounts and exemptions
    • If a discount or exemption has been granted, this link will give a description of the award and the period it has been granted for.
  • Your property details
    • This shows your account number, the property address and band and the start date of your account. It also has links to council tax levels for each property band and the Valuation Office website.
  • Date of last notice
    • This is the date the last notice (bill or reminder) was issued.
  • Payment method
    • This shows your payment method and the latest date by which each monthly payment should be received.
  • Opening balance
    • This is the balance due for the current year as shown on your most recent bill.
  • Transaction history (payments)
    • This shows the date a payment was made, the amount paid and the method of payment.  All payments and credits (including transfers from another council tax account are shown with a minus (-) sign. Any refunds and debits have no sign.
  • Instalment plan
    • This shows your monthly instalment plan and the dates due. To make a payment, select the instalment due and click on the ‘make a payment’ button. You can select more than one instalment.

Payments and discounts

  • Make a payment
    • This allows you to make an online payment using a debit or credit card.
    • An onscreen message will appear to advise you that your payment has been successful. It will take at least one working day for the payment to show on your MyAccount transaction history.
    • You can still make a payment if you have received a final notice or summons or have arrears for a previous tax year.  However, you will need to contact us as well.
  • Manage your payment method
    • This gives you the details of your current method of payment and allows you to set up a direct debit or change your bank account details if you are already paying by direct debit. To change the date we take your monthly direct debit payment please contact us as this is not currently a service offered online.
  • Setting up a direct debit
    • You can choose to pay the instalments either on the 1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd of each month. Please note that you must set up the direct debit at least 14 days before the first payment is due.   For example, to make direct debit payments on the 1st of each month, you would need to set up the direct debit before the 17th of the previous month. Please contact us if your attempt to set up a direct debit is not successful.   Note: You cannot use this facility to set up a direct debit if you:
      • have arrears for a previous year
      • have received a final notice or summons.
      • had a direct debit declined twice in the last 12-months

Please contact us if any of the above applies to you.

Council tax data protection

The council has a statutory duty to manage public funds properly and may use the information which you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud.

Information provided by you will be used to ensure that all sums due to the council are paid in a timely manner, for example, by identifying persons who are non-payers of council tax and improving the uptake of benefits.

This information may be shared with other bodies, including neighbouring councils, or bodies which are responsible for auditing or administering public funds.

Other help information